Nothing says “Fall” like a warm apple crisp. Between the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon, the flavors in this dessert are delectable. This comforting dish is easy to throw together – the perfect ending to your holiday meal! Plus, with ingredients like oats and fresh apples, this dessert comes recommended from our nutrition team.
From our Food Bank family, to yours, we hope you enjoy (and share!) this apple crisp recipe.
INGREDIENTS (10 servings)
• 5 medium apples
• ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed and divided
• ½ cup whole wheat flour
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Non-stick cooking spray
• 2 ounces ghee or unsalted butter
• 1 ½ cups quick oats
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of the apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel.
3. Place apples cut-side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into 1/8” slices.
4. In a large bowl, combine slices apples, ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
5. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
7. Dice ghee into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and ghee. Mix with hands until crumbly.
8. Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture. Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly.
9. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.