Frequently Asked Questions

What is Food from the Bar?

Food from the Bar is the legal community’s nationwide hunger relief campaign. Structured as a friendly competition, participants earn points by raising funds, volunteering time and donating food to help feed families through the summer months.

How do I register?

First, register your team. You’ll receive an email confirmation with links to volunteer or host a food drive barrel at your office. All of these actions earn points towards your team’s goal.

How do we earn points?

We calculate your team’s total in three ways:
• $1.00 = 1 point
• 1 volunteer shift = 10 points
• 5 lbs. of food = 1 point

How do I keep track of my totals?

You can keep track of your monetary donations via your fundraising page. For volunteer hours or food poundage for food drives, we will be happy to provide those totals at the end of your volunteer shift and food drive.

At the end of the campaign, we will present awards in the following categories:
• Top per capita organization
• Top individual
• Top Fundraiser
• Top Volunteer crew
• Top Food Drive poundage

Can I donate via check?

You can donate funds offline by mailing your check with the name of your firm/company and “Food from the Bar” written on the check to:

By US Mail:

Attn: Food from the Bar
(Your firm’s name)
Alameda County Community Food Bank
P.O. Box 2599
Oakland, CA 94614

By Courier Services:

Attn: Food from the Bar
(Your firm’s name)
Alameda County Community Food Bank
7900 Edgewater Drive
Oakland, CA 94621

How do I participate in my company’s matching gift program?

Please consult your human resources department to see if your company participates in matching charitable contributions. When making a contribution that your company will match, please make sure to enclose the necessary documents required by your company.

How do I get my tax donation receipt?

Individuals who donate online will automatically receive a receipt for their donation via email. Individuals who send donations via check will receive a receipt by mail. All donations are tax-deductible.

How do I register for a volunteer shift?

If you sign up for volunteer shifts with your group or as an individual on your registration form, we will contact you to arrange your volunteer visit.

How do I register to host a food drive barrel at my office?

After you create your fundraising page, you’ll receive a link to a form where you can request a food barrel. The Food Bank provides barrels, posters and grocery bags, delivery and pick-up for your food drive. We ask that you allow 48 business hours to have your items delivered. When your barrel gets 75 percent full and you need a new barrel, please contact Katherine Avila, Food Drive Coordinator at: 510-635-3663 ext. 358 or

Where do my donations go?

100% of Food from the Bar proceeds go directly to support Alameda County Community Food Bank’s mission for a hunger-free community.

Due to our bulk purchasing power, every $1 you donate helps provide $7 worth of food.

Food donations get sorted by our volunteers and then distributed to our 200 partner agencies throughout Alameda County.

For more information: Please contact Katherine Avila at or 1-510-635-3663 ext. 358.