Our nutrition team is always whipping up tasty, nutritious and affordable dishes to share with our agency partners, staff and community members. This black bean and corn salsa is an easy-to-make snack that’s chock full of fiber and Vitamin C. The homemade tortilla chips require exactly two ingredients (our kind of recipe!) and cook in under 10-minutes. They’re healthier than the store-bought version, and just might become your favorite snack.
Plus, all the ingredients used to make this dish are commonly found in our warehouse.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 lb (16 oz) dried black beans or canned
½ small red onion, chopped
1 cup corn kernels or canned
1 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/8 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1. In a serving bowl, toss beans, corn and onions.
2. Then, add lime juice, oil and spices and mix together.
3. Set aside in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, or serve immediately.
Note: Here are directions if you’re using dried beans. In a large pot cover beans with cold water. Bring water to a boil then simmer for 40-60 minutes, until beans are tender. Drain beans and add to mix.
Homemade Tortilla Chips*
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cut each corn tortilla into six triangles.
3. Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Place tortilla slices on baking sheet. Lightly spray the chips with non-stick cooking spray to prevent burning.
5. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 8-10 minutes.