Even though the holidays have come and gone, we still have many chilly winter nights ahead. Enjoying a big mug of hot chocolate can keep the cold at bay. And, we have a healthier option for you – courtesy of our nutrition team.
Swapping out just a few ingredients helps add flavor without adding sugar or calories. You can even make it sugar-free by skipping the honey or maple syrup and adding your favorite alternative sweetener. So, ditch the pouch of hot chocolate mix and opt for this healthier hot cocoa!
• 2 cups of milk choice (try Almond or Coconut milk)
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (adjust to taste)
• ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Put the milk and cinnamon stick into a pot large enough to comfortably hold them. Set to medium heat.
2. Once the milk is just beginning to simmer, add the vanilla extract, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
3. Pour into mug. Dust with cocoa powder.