1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Place 1 tablespoon butter in a large baking dish and heat in the oven. Remove the dish when butter is melted and spread butter along the bottom to coat. Set aside.
2. Carefully cut each slice of bread almost in two from the top to middle. Be careful not to go all the way through, you should have a pocket. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of Nutella inside the pockets you’ve created, without going over the sides of the bread. Note: If you are using pre-sliced bread, fold a slice in half “hot-dog” style without breaking the bread completely in half.
3. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla, and the zest from your orange plus one good squeeze of juice (or 2 teaspoons of juice if you don’t have a fresh orange).
4. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture making sure both sides are coated. Cook slices in the hot pan until lightly brown on each side (approximately 2-3 minutes) and place into buttered baking dish.
5. When all slices have been moved into the dish, place in heated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
5. Slice the remaining orange halves and serve with hot French toast. Try squeezing the orange slices over the toast instead of syrup or powdered sugar for the finishing touch.